AKB Update #1

One item from the Allowable Knitting Basket has been completed and two others are very close. However, I realized that there were more things buried in the bottom of the basket I forgot to mention last time, so first, an update to the list:

  1. The Unexpected Socks
  2. The only 2 things Iā€™m knitting for Xmas presents
  3. Citron
  4. Francis Revisited
  5. Plain & Simple
  6. The Oceania Shawl
  7. The next Thor hat
  8. The 2nd Stripey Bed Sock
  9. Kristi
  10. The Kitchen Muriwai
  11. Xmas garland for the office
  12. The Fuck This Shrug Slipper Socks
  13. Last July’s attempt at Leyburn, which are destined for a friend if I can remember the mods I made and finish the second one so that it in any way matches the first
  14. A practice hat for the class I’m teaching next month
  15. A child’s sweater that came in this batch of yarns that just needs a collar, a seam, and some ends woven in

Progress has been made on the Unexpected Socks. I just have the ribbing on the second sock and some ends left to do. I’ve also worked a bit on the collar to the sweater. I think I can finish that one up entirely today. I really have no use for this sweater, but it was so close to done I saw no reason not to finish it, and I’m sure it will make a good addition to the potential trades pile. I have worked on one of the two Xmas presents but I’m contemplating a restart on it, so it’s napping until I make a decision.

The one thing I’ve finished this week is the practice hat. For next month’s class, I’m planning to work on knitting a hat flat and then seaming – I think coasters and dishcloths and scarves all make boring first projects, personally, so I thought a hat would have just enough different elements to stay interesting, be just small enough not to be daunting, and be just simple enough that it could be tackled once the basics of cast on, knit, and purl have been grasped. Thing is, I haven’t knit a seamed hat in a few years, so I wanted to do one myself just to make sure my theory checked out.

I wasn’t thinking about gauge and fit with this one, but I’m still pretty pleased I ended up with something that I can wear. It’s a bit big, but I’m growing out my hair and will need something to stretch over the pigtails in the coming months.

I’m especially happy with the deep ribbing. Very impressed with my own patience on that one. I always feel like my brims are too short.

Pattern: Nothing fancy, just 2*2 rib for a while, then stockinette.
Yarn: Patons Shetland Chunky Tweed, color Sea Ice, exactly one skein (except what I clipped after weaving in ends)
Needles: 6.5 mm
Started: Some time in November 2011
Finished: December 10, 2011

4 thoughts on “AKB Update #1

Leave a Reply to bigmonkeypie Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *