Tomorrow I declare independence from all my works in progress. Aside from my ’15-’16:17 queue, whatever is on my needles — or significantly along in the planning or prep process, let’s say — when I get up tomorrow is the only allowable knitting until all of it is done. (I’ll wait while you finish laughing. Yes, we all know how well this is going to turn out. For the moment, let’s just pretend. A fantasy is nice in summer.) So, I’m spending today getting organized and casting on a bunch of new things just to be safe, and I’ll report in tomorrow with the full list.
I have been finishing things already tho!
Pattern: none, just my usual approach (64 sts, cuff-down, 2×2 ribbing and stockinette, flap & gusset heel)
Yarn: Holiday Yarns FlockSock Sock, color Barnyard by Nora (there’s a story about the barnyard, the pigs — pink — the barn — red — but I don’t really remember it anymore; it was nice when the lady who sold me the yarn told it tho)
Needles: 2 mm/US 0 Karbonz DPNs
These were my first entry in the Grocery Girls’ Second Socks of Summer KAL. You’d think short socks would be easy enough to plow through, and yet I totally needed the KAL motivation to get these done. (We’ll talk about the rest of my planned entries tomorrow. There are either 2 or 4 depending on how I decide to live my life between now and then.)
Also, these are #5/17 for my current year of socks. That didn’t seem too bad to me, considering the rough start I got off to, until I checked the math and realized it’s been 39 weeks since October 1 and I should be at 13/17 by now. I swear, one of these years I’ll complete a “year of” project.
Also also, these weren’t even next in the queue. They were kind of an accident but it all worked out for the best. A few months ago I was looking for a new swift on Etsy. (I went with one from this shop and I’m really liking it.) I wasn’t sure what size skeins I needed it to be able to handle, and this was the first skein I grabbed to measure. It was still on the coffee table when the swift arrived, so it was the first one wound. Then it was still there when I finished my last socks, so it was the next one cast on. I’m really happy these jumped to the front of the line, though, because this is the same yarn as the Daughter of the Regiment kit, and after pushing myself through the end of that sock, it was so nice to have a good experience with that yarn.
In fact, these made me so happy with the yarn, that it brought up some ideas about how to use the leftovers from Only Child of the Regiment.
I made these socks — very quickly! — in 2009. I think they were my 3rd pair ever? They were so early in my sock knitting career that they were actually the first ever square in my blanket.
But they’ve never been quite long enough. They stretch over my toes something awful. If I wear them, I wear them in shoes, but I don’t wear them often. I’ve always sort of meant to fix them somehow but never really felt like it. But then I was thinking about how much I actually like the FlockSock and realized the gray was actually kind of perfect, and, well.
Pattern: cuff-down, 2×2 ribbing and stockinette, flap & gusset heel, from back in the days when I used to knit 60-stitch socks
Yarn: Berroco Sox, color 1435, and Holiday Yarns FlockSock Sock, which is such a perfect fit with those blues and grays I just couldn’t be happier
Needles: 2.25 mm/US 1 originally (goddamn my gauge has changed; I would never think of knitting this yarn on 2/25 mm these days; I’d probably go down to 1.75, actually), 2 mm/US 0 to knit the new the toes
Started: February 2009
Finished: March 2009 originally; June 2016 for realskies
I might still have just one more use for this yarn too, actually. I was thinking how the solid gray is pretty close to the gray in the multicolor socks, and then I was thinking how nice gray and pink are together, and then I remembered that I have some mending on tomorrow’s list.