I’ve done a slight reorganization of the yarn baskets to aid in my goal of clearing out all the unfinished things. (The general yarn storage system in my house is like this: there’s a set of Rubbermaid drawers for most of it, there are 2 baskets for more of it, there are various bags of it about the place; the baskets are the most accessible from the couch.) I have chosen one basket, named it the Allowable Knitting Basket, and put all in-process and next-on-the-queue stuff (and nothing else except needles & such) into it. The only Allowable Knitting not in this basket is the Life-Long Blanket, because it’s taking most of the space in 2 super market paper bags to handle that thing and all its attendant minis right now. If I reach into the AKB I am sure to find either something I am already partway through or something I plan to make in the next month or so, which means I won’t get distracted by something shiny and add another just barely started item to the pile.
If memory serves – and it should, as I just filled it a few hours ago – these are the contents of the AKB:
- The Unexpected Socks (I got some very generous partials in my latest Life-Long Blanket life support trade and decided that one of them, while it did make a lovely square, simply had to become socks for me, with contrasting heels, toes, and ribbing to make up the needed yardage)
- The only 2 things I’m knitting for Xmas presents
- Francis Revisited
- Plain & Simple
- The Oceania Shawl
- The next Thor hat (in my size, to test my pattern-writing skills)
- The 2nd Stripey Bed Sock (I knit the 1st one last Xmas, so I suppose it would be fitting to knit the 2nd one this Xmas)
- The Kitchen Muriwai
- Xmas garland for the office
- The Fuck This Shrug Slipper Socks
The Unexpected Socks are making good purse knitting and the rest of the yarn for the garland has mysteriously disappeared (now, I admit there have been times over the years since this yarn came into my possession that I have wished it would disappear because it’s tough to find a use for 9 skeins of Caron Christmas Glitter Multi; but now that I have a use I really don’t want it running off on me), so I think I have a date with Kristi tonight.
In other news: PURPLE PEA COAT HAS ARRIVED!!!
And now, I must leave you. There is roasted delicata squash to scoop and freeze, cranberry nut bread to cool, and apple butter to mush and strain (because also in other news: FARM SHARES ARE THE BEST), French bread heading into the oven soon, spaghetti for dinner, and the difficult choice between Inspectors Lewis and Frost. Life is good.