After two seasons of CSA food, I have a really hard time buying produce at the grocery store. It just doesn’t taste as good and the price seems ridiculous. I’m fortunate enough that I can afford and have access to amazing produce between the CSA programs and farmers markets in my area, so for the most part I don’t have to go to the grocery store for fresh food. Neither share we’ve signed up for has been very heavy on herbs, though, and my avoidance of the produce aisle has led to a serious lack of lemons around the house.
Rather than buying lemons at the store (which are, like, 30 cents each and it’s not like I even have a local organic taste experience to compare with, so I could totally still buy lemons at a store and be fine with it, but still) and paying $4 for what turns out to be maybe 2 tablespoons of fresh herbs, I’ve decided to venture out into the world of container gardening.
This is Ray, and I do hope it won’t turn out to be a shame about him.
I hope, in fact, that he gives me lots of lovely meyer lemons this summer.
All I had to do with Ray when I got home last night was plunk him by the porch – one step, nice and easy. The rest of this experiment took a little more work, though – two whole steps!
(Step 2 not shown because my assistDant wasn’t around to get action shots. But it involved getting dirt everywhere and then being FASCINATEDITELLYOU by the plants’ roots. I really understand nothing about the growing of things. I was all like “whoooooaaaaa, they’re outside of the dirt!” I had no idea they would do that.)
And here is what I have now:
I’m, like, 60% sure I can keep these things alive for a little while. I talked to everyone I bought plants or supplies from for as much time as they could give me and I left each encounter feeling like I mostly understood what they were saying. It all seemed quite doable, but I’ll consider this a raging success if any of these plants is still alive next Friday. That would be a personal record.